About a week ago I came across a company called Man Crates. This new business makes gifts for men that they ship in wooden crates to be opened with a crowbar. After exploring the website a bit, I noticed that these crates were filled with everything from jerky to retro games, both of which I unashamedly love. It seemed like the perfect blend of work and fun to me, so when I was told about their search for people willing to share their own ideal crates for the upcoming holidays, I was completely on board. I’ve been a crazy Christmas fiend (oxymoron?) since I was a kid.
Even though I thought this was a neat idea, I will admit that when I got the e-mail my first thought was: Do these people know I’m a chick? My name has led to way more people calling me a ‘he’ than I ever thought possible. While I’m still not sure they’re aware of my gender, I thought their idea of a holiday survival list was too cool to pass up. We all have things that we need to get through these hectic months and I would love to share my own with you. So, without further ado, here are my necessities.
1. Beer/Wine/Spirits. Unsurprisingly, the first thing I thought of was booze. I don’t know about your family, but mine runs on alcohol during the holidays. Our bar rivals some of the best and covers everything from Jack Daniels to Van Gogh Raspberry Vodka. Personally, I like to mix it up. When we’re just lounging around, I drink either a gin and tonic or a beer, but by the time we’re eating dinner, I’m
gulping sipping on a wine. No matter what we plan on enjoying, we always make sure the house is well-stocked before Thanksgiving so adults can experience the holiday with a glass in each hand.
2. Board Games. Once we’re thoroughly toasty from the drinks, my family is big on holiday game nights. We have favorites that range from Scrabble to Cranium and try to play them all. It’s the healthiest way to get out our aggression without throwing glasses at one another. It admittedly helps that I usually win game nights because I am probably the worst loser in the family.
3. Snacks. While I love a nice Christmas meal filled with ham and sides like cheesy potatoes, I live for the snacks that we eat before and after dinner. I’m not a huge snacker after January, but I like them all when I’m preparing for my winter hibernation. Some that I absolutely need for the holidays are chips and dips, nut mixes, and Lindt mint truffles.
4. Netflix. My subscription of Netflix is as important as food to me during the holidays. Whether I’m rewatching a classic like White Christmas or continuing to make my way through all the Star Trek series’ on there, my dependency on Netflix increases ten-fold once November hits! It provides a much-needed break from the sometimes exhausting family time while also giving me a way to fill the quieter hours when everyone’s off doing their own thing.
5. Footie Pajamas. During the winter, as I’m priming myself for a boyfriend by eating tons of chocolate and watching hours of television, I really like to cement my attractiveness in some footie PJs. They keep me nice and warm while also helping me connect with my inner five-year-old. What’s a better way to celebrate the season than bundled up in goofy clothing decorated with some of your favorite things?
Although I think my list covers most of my holiday needs, you can also check out the plethora of gifts that Man Crates has already put together for inspiration. They may be geared towards men, but looking over their crates, I’ve seen ones that would appeal to everyone from my uncle to my sister. I’m tempted to buy that exotic meats option for myself; however, I doubt my first experience with a crowbar would end well. I’d love to hear what you guys would need in your own holiday survival kit, too, because I’m always looking for ideas this time of year. If I don’t catch you all again before Thanksgiving, make sure you have everything you need for this week and enjoy your turkey day!